The collective knowledge of our weekly blog group, in a nutshell...
Tuesday, April 22, 2008
Week Six - Reviewing the Experience
We decided to meet one final time to debrief the whole experience of the blogging group and to reflect on what worked and what didn't. Each participant is going to blog about their ideas during the week, and we'll spend the afternoon sharing our thoughts.
I'm going to post a few of my thoughts here in the comments section... I was very hopeful about this project at the beginning and I have really enjoyed spending time with the other bloggers. I think everyone is leaving with a good intro to the blogosphere and a blog of their own, so that's great. The small number of participants (only two in the end) made it challenging to get a real group dynamic going, and I think that may have impacted people's motivation and enjoyment of blogging. If there are more posts to look at every week and people are commenting on each other's writing, a momentum is created. I believe that the positive energy and feeling of community that could ultimately build would stimulate folks to keep going. Our original plan of asking folks to do "homework" around seeking out other blogs, making comments and posting between sessions seemed to hit some roadblocks. It would be good to explore that further, but from what I've heard thus far, technical issues, time/energy, and simply not knowing what to write about may have been factors. Recommendations: -5-8 participants in the group -in the "homework," give specific questions for people to address in at least one post, to get people over the "what to write" dilemma -give more specific and limited instructions in terms of seeking out other blogs, perhaps help folks seek out links during the group and post them on their site for further review during the week -continue to give lots of time during the group for people to write a post, with assistance if needed -once people have made it through the intro, continue to have weekly meetings where people can work on posts together.
A handful of us are gathering every Tuesday in the SMD computer lab to support each other as we get our own blogs off the ground and pool our knowledge (and sometimes ignorance!) on the world of blogging. Our hope is that this blog page can be an accessible resource for our group, providing notes from each session, relevant links and information, a point of connection for our personal blogs, and a place to reflect on and evaluate the whole process as we go. Please use the "comments" option liberally to give your feedback on the blog's content or on the group process as a whole. If we build this thing together, it will be awesome. Thanks and have fun!
1 comment:
I'm going to post a few of my thoughts here in the comments section...
I was very hopeful about this project at the beginning and I have really enjoyed spending time with the other bloggers. I think everyone is leaving with a good intro to the blogosphere and a blog
of their own, so that's great. The small number of participants (only two in the end) made it challenging to get a real group dynamic going, and I think that may have impacted people's motivation and enjoyment of blogging. If there are more posts to look at every week and people are commenting on each other's writing, a momentum is created. I believe that the positive energy and feeling of community that could ultimately build would stimulate folks to keep going. Our original plan of asking folks to do "homework" around seeking out other blogs, making comments and posting between sessions seemed to hit some roadblocks. It would be good to explore that further, but from what I've heard thus far, technical issues, time/energy, and simply not knowing what to write about may have been factors. Recommendations:
-5-8 participants in the group
-in the "homework," give specific questions for people to address in at least one post, to get people over the "what to write" dilemma
-give more specific and limited instructions in terms of seeking out other blogs, perhaps help folks seek out links during the group and post them on their site for further review during the week
-continue to give lots of time during the group for people to write a post, with assistance if needed
-once people have made it through the intro, continue to have weekly meetings where people can work on posts together.
Post a Comment